Wednesday, January 23, 2013

In Which I Post a Poem I Wrote at an Airport Terminal

*Insert opening statement in which I imagine there are people who actually read this blog, and I apologize to these figments for not updating in several *Insert exaggeratedly long periods of time**

The Prettiest Girls in the World


If I were to write my accomplishments down,
they wouldn't exactly fill pages.
I've never shown wisdom that's likely to be
renowned in the world through the ages.
Nevertheless, I stand with an air of
importance and dignity sure,
for to the prettiest girls in the world
I've an irresistible lure.

The prettiest girls in the world
both hang on my every word,
and laugh with delight at the jokes that I tell,
the ones even I find absurd!
To them I am strong, I'm a stone, unafraid.
There is nothing they cannot forgive.
They both think me great, and so great I must be
for their sakes, every day that I live.

So boast of your deeds 'till your face becomes blue;
you'll not make a groveler of me.
I don't feel at all inferior to you.
If you watch me a little you'll see,
that somehow I have earned the respect of the fair, and the pure look at me with a smile.
I am loved by the prettiest girls in the world,
so I should be alright for a while.

-----------------------------------------------------

This one's dedicated to Rachel and Grace, my two youngest sisters who take me to the edge of the cliffs of insanity, only to grab me before I fall off. Love you guys.

1 comment:

  1. I love this! Very much! Your meter and rhyme are great; I like the tone they give, and the story itself is just sweet and wonderful. :)

    ReplyDelete