Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Super Invited

Sweet Summer Child!  You guys, I have a blog!  Ha ha!  I'd nearly forgotten.  Apparently I post my poetry on this blog.  Cool, I guess!  Let's see what I have....

Invited

Please don't answer the door, sir,
please don't answer the door.
There's not anyone here, sir,
who's not been here before.
They came into your house, sir,
they smashed your finest things,
they struck you to the floor, sir,
and hacked away your wings.

You can see for yourself, sir,
look through the tiny hole.
They're crouching on the steps, sir,
clutching the life they stole.
Remember their past deeds, sir,
remember what they take,
and now remember why, sir!
Your house is now at stake.

You've just answered the door, sir,
I wish that you had not.
For look at the destruction
the invited have wrought.
But I speak out of turn, sir,
I won't say any more.
You must know what you're doing,
when you answer the door.
---------------------------

As one can easily tell, this poem is grimdark, and highly metaphorical.  That's a nice way of saying, "The writer is very disturbed so he wrote a disturbing poem that nobody but him can possibly understand".  And another nice way of saying that is to say that this poem is open to interpretation.  Whatever you take out of it though, I have to admit that there's a lot of cheating in there.  By cheating, I mean using the word 'sir' at the end of every other line to make it seem like the poem has way more rhyme than it does, and at the beginning I use one line twice in a row.  So yeah, cheating.

......Hey look!  Another one!  These things are everywhere!

Super


The superman watches from his throne on high.
He's scanning the people who gaze at the sky,
yet never can see him, or realize or care
that someone is sighing in sadness up there.

He wishes their flaws weren't so apparent,
or that a companion could perhaps be sent,
whose mind was on on par with his own, for somewhere
there exists a kindred spirit....Doesn't there?

The superman looks down at you and at me,
all alone in his superiority.
From his mighty face there falls many a tear,
for his life is secretly man's greatest fear.
----------------------------------------

Heh.  You're probably thinking, "Tom, why so serious?  Don't you ever write down your whimsical thoughts?"  Well yeah, I did in the last blog post.  Pay attention.  In truth though, yeah, this is another one that I was very seriously minded while writing.  And no, it is not about Superman from DC comics.  I mean, it can be, if you want, but that's not what I wrote it as.

Anyway, I made a marvelous and rather shocking discovery recently.  Apparently, people exist who actually read this blog.  WHOA, right?  So, to those people (all two of you, likely as not), I feel inclined to say that I will be heading out of state with my family for about two weeks, and as such no updates will be posted for a while.  Considering my normal update schedule, this will not feel like a huge change.

Signing off, ya'll.

No comments:

Post a Comment